We shouldn't forget ... he was damn'd good.
28 June 2009
Oyez Oyez! Major gig stage left
My fellow fogey fretters are always complaining I don't tell them about the real action around here.
Dudes. It's my inner Groucho subconsciously not wanting to pass on word to anyone so out of touch that you need to hear about it from the hors-de-touche likes of moi.
But this is different because it is right on my patch and the band are all my buddies.
Loipon, hie yer asses down to Kondόkali (or 'Kondo-karly' as y'all seem to pernounce it) and cop an earful of raunchy blues.
26 June 2009
25 June 2009
~ The World comes to Prosperonia ~
The European Council meeting in Brussels on June 18 and 19 marks the end of the Czech EU Presidency
- "We call to Corfu, 27-28 June 2009, all people who resist and rise up against Fortress Europe.
- "Say Oki to Fortress Europe"
- "From Seattle to Geneva, from Thessaloniki 2003 to December 2008, the social war goes on."
- "Let's trap human guards inside their own walls!"
- Loipon, hang about lads, whatever you call yourselves ... the Anarchists and Anti-Authoritarians' initiative against the OSCE meeting.
- For starters, my Spitfire Jewel is arriving *from* Seattle (as it so happens) so she doesn't need a slow-mo replay of any o' that argy-bargy.
- Speaking of which, did you see the DVD - Stroppy in Seattle? - I'm the Bunteresque bloke in the Oxford U t-shirt and the Oxford non-U accent, running from the burly troopers squealing "I say - steady on chaps! I only came out for a cup of Ovaltine. Ouch! Yaroo! Not fair!"
- My baby is coming for sea, sun and lots and lots of lovely dad-daughter bonding, so watch it.
- Water leaks fixed
- Pipes buried
- Roads tarred
- Rubbish cleared
- Vegetation cut back.
24 June 2009
Thomas Cook Deaths
~ Louis Corcyra gassing deaths trial ~
I see I have scribbled on this before:
Brilliant. The upside equivalent of my favorite Hamlet summary, "Spook King demands death probe". Anyway, I'm delighted both mothers got their mojo back.
But I digress. Speaking of probes, I was talking to a bunch of international scribes over for the OSCE knees-up and they seemed unaware of the Christi/Bobby tragédie trial but agreed that if things ran quiet in the Hillary camp they could always run some indignant colour piece about gaseous lynch mobs.
"Ayup, chuck - and what exactly is the interest from the FYROM Clarion (incorporating t'Macedonia Gazette)? Am I like missing summat?"
Either way, I will fearlessly fotograph the shenanigans until hustled away by Security and dropped down that Tzavros oubliette.
Mr Woods is disappointed that it'll be a while longer 'til he sees justice done: "We flew from England at great personal cost because we have faith in the Greek justice system." Yees, so ... where are we going on this, Mr Woods? Even moi, in my anchorite cell could hear the bush telegraph back then proclaiming the inevitable delay ... *that* is the Greek justice system and, true to its own industrious rumour mill, it's very much kept the faith with those of us watching the byzantine proceedings unfold.
22 June 2009
Excellent razor-job letter by Athens News' cool Perri Pagonis asking why he's being shunned by the likes of:
" ... Stamatina Tsimtsili, ebullient energetic hostess of the cooking show, In the Kitchen, and other Alter chat shows ... Will she talk to me personally about her career, interests, background, etcetera? Noooo, she won’t. It appears she won’t even think about it.
Ditto with chatty peroxide inquisitor, Vasia Loi, feline hostess of TV Weekend [who] dodges my appeals for a chat like some nimble ballerina."
20 June 2009
~ who DO/DO NOT want smoking back in pubs and public areas ~
Shudder ~ Not long 'til July 1st when even Greece turns Nanny.
19 June 2009
18 June 2009
16 June 2009
~ end of world 2012 ~
That 400-foot design is in a Yatesbury barley field and depicts the mythical phoenix reborn as it rises from the ashes.
"Investigators claim more formations are referencing the possibility of a cataclysmic event occurring on December 21, 2012, which coincides with the end of the ancient Mayan calendar."
From this video, the police look as if they haven't a clue what they're doing.
They're no sooner advancing on the poor bloke on the ground than springing back in apparent fear that he might retaliate - which looks highly unlikely.
I can't see or hear any indication that the officers have received any training in any sort of restraint of suspects. Nor can I see the 'suspect' behaving aggressively in between the tasering which seems to be delivered very much at arm's length as if the lone man on ground poses more of a threat than the combined circle of Filth.
Is this our police force these days?
15 June 2009
12 June 2009
This lady can assure herself of an interesting prison sentence.
I know that blokes inside for sex crimes suffer a dodgy status among their fellow crims, so I'd guess Vanessa George might have keep an even lower profile.
Even wim crims harbour maternal instincts, no? Including the screws.
11 June 2009
What a thoroughly nasty piece of work that Robert Crow looks.
Exactly the sort of union boss I'd want to represent me in a dispute.
In my time in book publishing, I had some dealings with our warehouse unionistas and they were classic "I'm all right, Jack" self-referential bastards.
I never got anywhere with them but because I knew the warehouse lads and they knew that I *was* all right, albeit hated management, we emerged less scathed than if it had been left to my ivory tower bosses.
Back in the late 1960s when I became a department head, I'd never hire a girl if her dad worked for Ford.
They were professional strikers and trouble makers and i knew any spawn would be infected, maybe not then but sooner or later.
07 June 2009
- Absinthe Festival
- Hosted by Dead Scarlet Records
- Venue: Kyttaro Club, junction of Ipeirou and Acharnon
- Music): Folk rockers Rome, Spiritual Front, Manu Deum, Glimmer Void.
- Free absinthe cocktails.
- 30 euros
THE GREEK WAY
What set me guffawing with delight and admiration was his succinct summary of how
" ... everything appeared to be going according to the Greek way of handling scandals:
- Saturation coverage - enough to sow confusion so that no one knows what the story is all about.
- The cultivation of a sense that "everyone does it" (meaning no one is accountable)
- The judiciary lets the issue drag on for so long that the public - aided by the very fickle news media - forgets what it is all about
- Time runs out, the case is filed away
- Everyone goes back to business as usual
That is what I call good writing.
And which the discerning Sinbad borrows.
05 June 2009
Tiananmen Square 1989
I was in Hong Kong when the massacre took place.
Beijing pals were phoning and faxing it in until the lines went dead.
We watched what TV coverage was getting across until ... blank.
My wife and I had a literary agency spotting local literary goodies and skilled translators to sell to our pals back in London and Boston.
Not one of our budding writers was heard of again.
Comment Pic: "Tank Man"
SUMMER HAS ARRIVED - OFFICIAL
When the swing chair goes up, that's it. Sumer has a cumen in, or however it goes.
I look so nervous and grumpy, not because of my crap haircut from Zoe because Nancy can't walk for a while, but because the chair is hanging from a very dodgy hook that is not quite curved enough to secure it if anyone swings too vigorously (believed to be a reference to a certain younger daughter and her bf, due to arrive June 20)
~ Salley Vickers ~
Salley Vickers has a new novel out June 25 and mater will be in London to collect it, so whoo hoo.
Plug: This blog exists to plug favourites so,
- You should get to know Ms Vickers if you don't already
- Definitely read my favourite, Instances of the Number 3
- Here is her page
- Fantastic Fiction's page, including a short blurb, which is more than my old Alma Mater Amazon includes. (I'm sure Salley will be delighted to know that she delivers Fantastic Fiction, which we all know she does.)
If you're wondering about typo 'Salley', it ain't: it is spelled with an 'e' because it is the Irish for 'willow' (from the Latin: salix, salicis) as in the W.B.Yeats poem, 'Down by the salley gardens'.
03 June 2009
02 June 2009
Corfucius runs a literate ship and he looks after his buds.
Voici a useful list from that last bastion of anglais how she is spoke, L'Economist.
Oh all right, you lot in the back row, here's what it means.
Aggravate: I grew up knowing it to mean 'make heavier'.