18 November 2013

DAY AT A TIME

  • Tuesday 19 Nov, 10am
  • Wesley presiding
  • 'On the Wagon' - 'On the wagon' - abstaining from alcohol. 'Off the wagon' - returned to drinking after an attempt to give it up. What, whence - why wagon?

October 6:  Read Dr Drew on Mayor Rob Ford and reckon Dru is talking about me: 

“The crazy thing about alcoholism is it distorts your priorities so much that you’d rather die and lose your job and lose your family than contemplate stopping your relationship with this substance that you literally love.”
Al-Anon Corfu - spot notice in Holy Trinity and decide I like the look of burly Wesley and his kilt and decide to go along.

Hold embarrassing sway at the after-cemetery refreshments at the church, proclaiming loudly how I am joining AA to give it a whirl. Everyone behaves exactly as I expect them to, checking to see if my loud protestations are reaching the others. Someone assures me I am far from 'that bad' but I know I am and I also suspect that some of the chivvying is directed at themselves.

Alcohol was my only anaesthetic during the five years, eight months of caregiving, not to mention the unsupervised temptations to take solace in drink in the post-mortem years as I floundered to go about readying the house for sale.  

It will be gruelling - and I am told I won't like the biblical part - but it will also be fun to report. I am reading up on anything that catches my eye - even the 'exposés'

The '12 Steps' everyone goes on about and tells me will be the stumbling block for me



** HIDE TRACKS ~ Had to change the title of this post, so many people linking to me and four helpfuls to date calling me with McWesley's phone number in case I wanted to have a private word with him before tomorrow (10 for 10:30, I'm told. It better fit in with Aleko's lesson at μισή το μεσημέρι)

What does it mean, this outpouring of care and luhve? Have I been such a drunkard these five years and 8 that Friends of Marjorie have decided to come to post-humous assistance? I may have some reports to deliver. Watch this space.  

Invoking all the help I can get - and certainly do need. Lucille's been there, walked that path; she knows what I mean. 


Twelve Steps
  1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon AA unity.
  2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority—a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.
  3. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.
  4. Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or AA as a whole.
  5. Each group has but one primary purpose—to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.
  6. An AA group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the AA name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.
  7. Every AA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.
  8. Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employ special workers.
  9. AA, as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.
  10. Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the AA name ought never be drawn into public controversy.
  11. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.
  12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.

 New word from my reading about the 12-steps ~ Iatrogenic  

2 comments :

sibadd said...

You know that Thomas Siriotis at O Fornos - our host the other day - stopped drinking alcohol 10 years ago. X S

Corfucius said...

he did mention it at the time. i look forward to the adventure. all the simperers and spongers are scoffing ['come off it, dont be so hard on yourself. you're nowhere near being an alcoholic') but many of them were actually there to witness and give tacit permission to the treatment. i tell them that i shall face the truth in the AA confessional and describe that whole vile world of gardenry and theft and self-referential obtuseness; they can decide for themselves how likely it is that anyone could stand up to 70 months' worth.