25 October 2008

Cricket a 'fag' game?

Uttered in Oz?

Is that fossil Jerry Lewis mad ?

Of all the places to shoot his mouth off about cricket being a jeu de pouf , Australia was not the best choice. I'm just surprised not to have read on and found that he'd had his goolies kicked in.

"Following a news conference in Sydney, Lewis was asked by a national TV reporter for his opinion on the Australian nation sport of cricket.

"Oh, cricket? It's a fag game. What are you, nuts?" Lewis replied.

The network broadcast the comment in full, along with footage of Lewis handling an imaginary cricket bat with an effeminate gesture."

Comment Post-script: Yerss, well, I hate conceding but BadAss's comment does sort of make sense and it's about time I let go of my image of Oz as peopled by hearty cricketing types. Actually, last time I was there not so many years ago, I'd never seen so many Village People/Tom of Finland types, all camp as can be - but big buggers and gymn'd up to the whazoo.

2 comments :

sibadd said...

I was around Oz cities first time in May. I knew it but hadn't realised just *how* metro and boho and 'intensely relaxed' (to borrow a Mandelson-phrase) the place is on pink issues. I doubt we'll see a scrum of gooley-busting batsmen attacking Jerry. Most offense against his riposte to a planted ratpack query is being taken by the G&L Rights lobby in USA where he's been leaving a trail. It's more and more difficult to offend in these places (unlike Greece). I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry was being stalked by GLAAD following his telethon 'slur' in September. It's show business.

Corfucius said...

V good point. Thanks for the 'intensely relaxed' update. I guess I still subconsciously cling to that image of my birthplace as a land of barrel-chested cousins who'd thump me soon as look at me - and that's before I opened my fluting Fotheringay mouth.