17 January 2008

keyboard lacking N 

The 'N' Word

I'm not such a negative sort of scoundrel, am I?

I had a pal come over to use my blazing fast broadband and she asked what the "blank key" was for?

I had to agree: hmm, yes, how come the 'N' fades so fast?

I can't have *so* many Y/N choices in my online life since coming to Greece. Any Puter Shrinks out there care (or know) to make a guess at why that particular letter dissolves so fast?

Meanwhile, my friend expressed panic at the 'empty' button - what happens if she needs to type 'N'? (This from a touch-typist who never looks at the keyboard anyway.)

Reminds me of a church organist pal who must have played the National Anthem a few hundred times: he's playing one Christmas at an aunt's local church in ruralest Crofton where they ne'ertheless have hymn sheets covering every possible religion:

Anglicanism, Baha'i, Baptists, Charismatic Renewal, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Church in Wales, Church of Scotland, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Judaism, Methodism,Orthodoxy, Paganism, Pentecostalism, Quakers, Rastafarian, Roman Catholicism, Salvation Army, Scientology (yes, Tom), Scottish Episcopal Church, Seventh-Day Adventist Church, Sikhism, United Reformed Church, Unitarianism, and Zoroastrians.

He scoffs at the bulging cabinet - what do they take him for, an amateur filling in on a holiday job?

He looks for "God save the Queen" with which the service will end - not included - he begins to freak.

"But you must have played it a gazillion times? Surely you know it by heart? Wot U need the music for?"

"Course I can, duhh. I just need the music there ... in case."

"In case of what?"

"In case the music's not *there*, DUHHH!!"

"Oh OK."

"Holmesie, I swear you're losing yer marbles."

Posted by Picasa

No comments :